We recommend using a faucet water filtration system, which is the most convenient way of saving waste when it comes to plastic bottles.
Often, tap water is highly chlorinated, containing more contaminants, making it almost unbearable to drink.
With the best faucet water filter reviews below, you’ll find faucet filtration systems much more economical and a lot healthier in the long run.
A plus point is a fact that you will no longer have to carry around heavy packages of water bottles anymore, hahaha…yay. 🙂
The Best Faucet Water Filters of 2020 You Can Buy Under $100
Water companies do their best to ensure your water is as clean as possible enough to be considered safe for drinking in most states.
As clear as it may look, though, you might want to check the water coming from your tap before having a glass.
Think about the long journey your water has to take before it drips out of the tap. Several studies have shown the presence of hazardous organic and inorganic substances such as lead, rust, and bacteria.
Health is one of those things you don’t want to gamble.
Therefore, it’s always recommended to ensure you drink thoroughly processed water to stay at peak health and avoid unnecessary medical expenses you would otherwise incur.
There Are Two Ways to Achieve This:
- Purchasing bottled water
- Installing a tap water filtration system at home
The Latter Has The Following Benefits:
- Cost-effective: it’s much cheaper, in the long run, considering the quantity of safe water you can harvest.
- Saves the planet by reducing the number of plastic water bottles you would have run through in a similar duration.
A lot of companies are entirely on board to support this agenda and have designed extremely competitive, fully functional, and affordable systems.
1. Brita – Complete Faucet Filtration System
The Brita filtration is a faucet style filter system that screws directly onto your tap.
It features an on/off switch and variable output options you can choose depending on your needs at the time: filtered and unfiltered water/spray.
You should also know that Brita, the company, is a demonstration of German excellence as the world’s best water filter manufacturer in the world with a 45-year clean reputation so you can be sure of product quality, performance, and longevity.
The Brita faucet filtration system happens to be the most advanced filter in its product line.
The filtration system does a fantastic job at impurity removal, more specifically chlorine making the water safe for cooking, preparing beverages, and drinking for your family and pets.
- Performs in both low and high-pressure water, meaning you can use it in different settings
- Includes a strategic LED light to notify you when the filter should be replaced, ensuring that you are always within safe limits
- Excellent at removing taste and odor making, which will allow you to enjoy fresh warm, and called beverages
- The filter eliminates more than 60 contaminants, including 99% lead, asbestos, and benzene, which are hazardous to the human body
- The long filter service span of about four months gives you excellent value for your money
- You can easily replace the filter
- Cannot filter hot water (above 100℉ / 38℃)
- It does not fit in pull-out/spray faucets making it less universal if you have different styles of faucets within your house
- Not dishwasher safe: this may not be an inconvenience if you aren’t into dishwashing, lol!
2. Waterdrop – 320-Gallon Ultra Filtration Long-Lasting Faucet Water Filter
This Is A Multi-Level Filter with The Following Stages:
- The pre-sediment layer filters out dust sand, solids, and other particles to give an initial touch of clarity and smoothness.
- Activated carbon stage: uses charged carbon ions as a membrane to remove well over 93% of chemicals, including; lead, mercury, iron, and in the process eliminating bad taste and order to give you a sensation of purity and freshness.
- Advanced filtration stage: further removes fluoride, which goes a long way in promoting dental health for you and your family.
- Post filtration stage: removes any solids that made it through to this stage to ensure a thorough job in maintaining the smoothness of drinkable water.
- Final layer: made of stainless steel to trap bigger particles
- You don’t have to wait for the process as the water flows out continuously without trickling or pauses thanks to its 0.5 GPM flow rate. Capable of giving you an impressive four bottles or about 17 ounces every minute!
- The filter lasts considerably longer, up to about three months or 320 gallons, which effectively saves you on cost and time
- The simplicity of installation, coupled with its seamless operation, ensures clean water drinking habits maintained by removing any inconveniences you wouldn’t want, such as having empty plastic water bottles lying around the house
- It’s not compatible with pull out, spray, or sensor-enabled faucet designs. This limits as to how many places you can install in the house
- It cannot operate under higher temperatures above 122 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Apex – Advanced Alkaline Mineral Countertop Filter
The Apex advanced countertop is a multi-stage filter, as well. It’s a beautiful product from APEX, a local company founded in 1997 in Gardenia, California.
Apart from supporting local products, the filter offers plenty of other attractions.
First off, it’s pretty easy to install. Just remove the faucet aerator from your sink and replace it with a screwable diverter valve, and you are ready to go!
Once on, the different stages remove both chemical and physical elements such as radon, mercury, lead, chlorine, rust, pesticides, sediments, dust, and other large and tiny particles.
With a single service capacity of 750 gallons before replacement, you can be sure of a high return on your investment.
It’s essential for you to also put into account that APEX adheres to the highest safety standards issued by the National Safety Foundation and The Food and Drugs Administration.
Giving you utter confidence that your water is safe for your family.
- Minimal maintenance
- Since the Apex filter outputs alkaline water, you can expect several health benefits, including; better skin health improved muscle functionality, slowed aging, and general optimal body pH, which helps you feel physically better!
- Promotes local manufacturing, which not only guarantees high quality but also creates employment along with saving the environment thousands of plastics bottles that would otherwise be disposed of all over
- It’s not compatible with pull out, spray, or sensor-enabled faucet designs, limiting installation
4. PUR – Advanced Faucet Water Filter
PUR filters out everything from your tap using a proprietary system dubbed MAXION filter technology.
Maxion is a superior technique that promises you close to perfect results. The PUR MAXION technology removes over 70 contaminants, including chlorine and lead.
It entails the blending of activated carbon and ion exchange techniques all in one compact frame. The filter boasts a 360-degree swivel, which makes it possible for installation in most sinks.
With substantial 30-years of experience in this field, quality is assured. The company is highly reputable, and as such, you can expect superior quality.
- Removes 99% of lead, contaminants, and harmful pharmaceutical chemicals, making sure you are getting the best, safest results
- Huge costs savings of up to $1000 per year should get you going
- The inbuilt electronic filter replacement alert sensor and LED combo will ensure timely filter replacement
- It comes in a variety of high-quality finishes, which should make it easy for it to blend with your current hardware with extended longevity
- The compact design allows for a small footprint, which makes it easy for installation
- The final water output is a crisp, refreshing taste that makes every sip pleasurable
- The PUR Advanced Faucet water filter is easy to replace, minimizing cost
- The company displays confidence in the reliability of their product as they offer a two-year warranty
- It’s not compatible with pull out, spray, or sensor-enabled faucet designs, limiting installation
5. Jetery – Tap Water Purifier
The filter uses high precision multi-stage activated carbon and ion exchange filtration techniques.
The exact process is proprietary and dubbed ACF (Activated Carbon Fiber), which features absorptive material with more than ten times the capability of ordinary carbon, thus guaranteeing high-quality drinking water.
Technology with The Following Four Stages:
- Stainless Steel Mesh stage: filters tiny contaminants
- PP cotton stage: further locks out suspended particles and impurities
- Activated Carbon Fiber stage: with world-class performance, it removes 93% of chemicals like chlorine, lead, mercury and eliminates bad taste and odor
- Advanced Filtration Layer: this stage particularly
- A high 0.53 GPM flow rate allows you to get 1 cup in under 7 seconds
- It includes a two-way switch that allows you also to get unfiltered tap water quickly — enabling you to effectively extend the filter lifespan by using tap water when necessary e.g. When cooking
- Lasts longer compared to other filters in its class typically rated at about 320 gallons or six months’ worth of use before you have to replace the filter, three times the average filter lifespan on the market
- The filter is BPA free, which means the actual equipment is made of safe materials to avoid purification cross-contamination from the hardware itself
- It does not come with a filter replacement notification light, adding an extra responsibility for you to keep track of when the filter expires
- It’s not compatible with pull out, spray, or sensor-enabled faucet designs, limiting installation
- You need a specific tool to remove an inbuilt interior aerator for the filter to fit onto your faucet
6. Waterdrop 320-Gallon Long-Lasting Water Faucet Filtration System
The Waterdrop-320 filter will replace 2,000 plastic water bottles. Protects the environment with little waste on plastic bottles and saves you money.
The faucet water filtration system offers six months or 320 gallons of clean water, which is more cost-effective, and it only takes a few minutes to install thanks to proper instructions.
We don’t realize how plastics litter the earth and how it affects our environment, feeling guilty while drinking from a plastic bottle is a turning point in making a change.
Use as little plastic as possible.
The feeling that you will have in avoiding wasteful use along with protecting animals and the environment will be fantastic…well at least from our experience 🙂
- The faucet filter provides 320 gallons (1’211 l)
- It removes lead, fluoride, chlorine and other contaminants
- A quick switch from filtered water to tap water
- It’s easy to install
- ACF filter (Activated Carbon Filter) with the high absorption capacity
- It is an excellent purchase for the price
- Water tastes very good
- High water pressure
- 30-day money-back guarantee and a limited one-year warranty against defects in materials and craft
- The filter will occasionally leak, which happens due to the metallic filter build residue, remove the faucet and clean out the waste, also make sure to apply more Teflon tape if needed, a lack of Teflon tape results in leaks as well
How to Choose The Right Tap Water Faucet?
Before going shopping, it’s crucial to have the right knowledge to help in picking the right system for your needs. Above are the critical aspects needed to put into consideration:
1. Impurities in Your Water
There are a surprising number of substances you’d want removed from your seemingly clear water.
- Lead: although tasteless and odorless, there are odds of lead being present in your water due to the use of lead-based materials in either or both your home or municipal water systems, especially those installed in the 80s or earlier.
Lead compromises the immunity of children, pregnant women, and elderly people. To confirm your skepticism, you can always have a sample of your tap water tested in a laboratory to ascertain its presence.
- Rust: a good number of water systems are made of iron, whether partially or in full. In optimal conditions, untreated metal undergoes the oxidation process of rusting and leads to clogging of plumbing systems.The particles eventually make it out of the tap and can damage appliances (kettles, washing machines, etc.) along with staining your bathtub/toilet. Not only is this disturbing, but it is also harmful to your health in large quantities (prolonged intake).
- Organic wastes and persistent minerals: like ammonia, causes terrible taste and odor, which ruins the whole drinking experience.
- Microorganisms (for instance, bacteria and other parasites), both well and treated municipal water, are known to have bacteria such as giardia and cysts, which cause digestive tract infections.
2. Methods of Removing Impurities (Filtration)
Now that you’re well versed with the enemies, here are the significant techniques of combat (filtration):
- Reverse osmosis: forces water through a membrane with micropores no more significant than the size of a water molecule removing any larger particles such as lead, iron, parasites, and bacteria.
- Does not remove chlorine which in the correct amount is safe and keeps water purified
- Filters out important minerals
- Ultraviolet filtration: uses electromagnetic energy to eliminate microbes such as viruses and bacteria
- Oxidation-Reduction: this a forward conversion process that removes the oxygen from active molecules, transforming them into non-harmful states. This process also eliminates bacteria and viruses
- Ion exchange filtration: this is a method that replaces undesirable substances with a desirable element with the same electrical charge
- Activated carbon filtration uses active carbon to filter out impurities through chemical bonding. This method especially removes terrible taste and odor
3. Types of Water Filtration Devices
In line with the above techniques, the following categories of filtration systems developed:
- Under-sink filters: usually permanently fixed under spacious sinks and recommended for permanent use. They filter both cooking and drinking water.
- They are excellent in removing lousy taste, odor, chlorine, bacteria, viruses, and cysts. However, you need to know that they might require complicated professional installation and unique faucets.
- Refrigerator filters: inbuilt in most modern refrigerators at no additional cost, use carbon filtration to remove sediments, mercury, chlorine taste, bacteria, lead, and cysts. You just push a valve and have clean water.
- Faucet-mount filters: you can easily screw them on your tap horse without any tools. They come in different varieties, with some allowing you to switch between filtered and unfiltered water.
- Showerhead water filters: you primarily install this in bathrooms to eliminate the adverse effects (dry skin and respiratory tract complications) of inhaling and coming into skin contact with chlorine.
- Whole house filters: although expensive, the convenience and effectiveness will guarantee safe water for you and your family.
- Countertop filters: these have a reservoir filled with tap water. You are likely to find this in rural areas or holiday homes due to their sheer ease of installation.
- Portable filters: as the name goes, this is what you would typically use during any form of outdoor adventure due to their compact form.
4. Criteria for Choosing The Right Filter
As a minimum, the device you choose should meet the following standards:
- Reasonable cost of maintenance, mostly replacing cartridges, every six months or 320 gallons, whichever comes first
- Have a maximum warranty period
- Be from a reputable company based on certifications and customer reviews
- Certified by the National Sanitation Foundation
- Removes the highest number of impurities at once
Why Should We Drink Water
Water is essential if you want to live a healthy lifestyle; it’s our elixir for living. Drinking enough of it can help with preventing obesity, along with aiding in healthy metabolism.
Unfortunately, nowadays, people are not paying enough attention to healthy drinking behaviors, they tend to drink many beverages that are high in carbohydrates/sugars, which can result in obesity.
The 7 Benefit of Drinking Water
1. Concentration & Attention
- Our brain needs fluid for full performance capacity. Drinking water every day lowers your fatigue, driving the mind to optimal performance; water strengthens your memory, and promotes concentration.
- The kidney is one of the most important detoxification organs in the human body. It removes harmful substances and acids from the bloodstream and discharges them through urine, as long as your intake of fluids is adequate.
- Water is the best laxative for our bodies. It washes the damp stool out of the intestine and enables a problem-free excretion. Another reason in avoiding unpleasant constipation.
4. Prevents Diseases
- Drinking water every day reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease. If you drink enough water instead of soft drinks, you can strengthen your immune system.
5. Prevent Headaches
- Headaches can also indicate a lack of fluid, meaning you’re losing more water than you’re taking in.
6. Skin Benefit
- Drinking a lot of water has a positive effect on our skin; it will become more apparent and smooth.
7. Weight Control
- Water alone doesn’t burn fat, but it’s better to choose water over soft drinks to cut out unnecessary sugar/carbs. Drinking a glass of water before each meal can help reduce the feeling of hunger, causing you to eat less, therefore taking in fewer calories.
We tried many water filter faucets, and these six above are by far the best ones.
The water comes out in a better volume than other filters and is effortless in switching from filtered to unfiltered water for most filters by rotating a smooth lever.
We no longer ingest large amounts of chlorine in our water, especially for coffee and tea drinkers such as ourselves, we can taste the quality along with purity. The result is you cannot beat the price for what you get.
“Water Is Life, And Clean Water Means Health” – Audrey Hepburn
Hey thanks for a great read, I really need to focus on drinking more water. That filter looks like great value to.
Oh yes, it‘s a really great filter. So happy that you are focusing on the healthier of living.
I enjoyed your post well done
Thank you Paul, we‘re so happy to hear that you really enjoyed!
This is very informative and good for everyone to know. I’m so glad you shared this. I noticed about a year ago that the water bottles all over my house were getting out of control and by no means were they all getting into the recycle bin. Most of them ended up in the trash which of course contributes to the pollution of our beautiful world. That’s when I decided to invest in a water cooler and get everyone their own water bottle to use. It’s a godsend. I didn’t opt for the water filter on our sink but found that the water cooler was a much better option because I can get the water I like to drink with it. I will be sharing your post with some of my friends because they don’t believe me when I try to tell them. Maybe this will be an eye opener for them. Thanks for sharing.
Hey Jay, we‘re happy to hear that you have taken the step and reducing plastic use! Thank you for sharing.
Living in Southern California, the city of Los Angels has banned the use of plastic grocery bags several years ago. This is designed to reduce the use of plastic that is not bio-degradable. Most plastic bags ended in the water or waste dumping ground.
Water filtration is definitely the way to drink fresh water to get rid of the chlorine taste. If one can afford it he should really buy it.
Thank you Ahearst, we couldn‘t agree with you more!
Interesting article. As an avid recycler, I am astonished at the amount of plastic that is still ending up in our oceans. Given the technology that we now possess, I think it is beyond shameful that we continue to use the ocean as a dumping ground.
Exactly Stasia, buying a faucet filter is our way of keeping our planet green.
It’s sad how much plastic gets tossed on a daily basis. I’m only in my fifties but the world has changed tremendously in this area since I was a child. We drank tap water out of a washable glass, carried a thermos, or used water fountains.
Although I carry a refillable bottle, I refill it out of 1-gallon jugs. I’m not comfortable with the amount of plastic that I toss in the recycling bin each week. Plastics can contaminate our food and drinks with harmful chemicals and even when we recycle there are other issues to consider, like transportation and the pollution it causes.
I will look at the Waterdrop 320-Gallon Long-Lasting Water Faucet Filtration System and see if that will work as a better alternative. Thanks for the information.
Theresa you are so right! That‘s why we chose the faucet filter, so that we could avoid recycling unnecessary plastics! 🙂
What a nice post you wrote! I really enjoyed reading it and I could not be silent about your post so I decided to leave my comment here and say Thank You! For sharing this quality post with others.
Actually this is exactly the information that I was looking for information about plastic pollution and when I landed to your website and read this post, it answered all my questions in details.
So I’m happy that you decided to write about this topic and share it with people. It’s very useful and can definitely be used as a great source for everyone who is interested in this topic.
I will come back to your website again for sure and I’m looking forward to reading your new posts.)
Thank you Ali. We‘re glad you liked it!
The first thing which hit me about your post was these words: “Water Filter Faucets – The Solution to Reduce PET bottles.” Yes, PET bottles are harmful to the environment.
Your guide to the best water faucets is an asset to anyone wishing to choose one. Another good thing is “How to Choose The Right Tap Water Faucet?” and the criteria for choosing the best.
That part about why we should drink water and the 7 benefits of drinking water make this piece a must read for everybody.
Thanks for sharing this.
Thank you Akoli, we are happy that you found our site useful! 🙂